Today, Comcast NBC Universal and FaceForward Productions announced acclaimed actress Meagan Good will appear
In the upcoming three-part documentaries The Black Beauty Effectset to premiere 11/25th on the Black Experience on Xfinity Channel, a unique destination for black entertainment with the ultimate in black storytelling. From the Creator and Executive Producer Andrea Lewis (Degrassi: The Next Generation, Black Actress); and Executive Producer Emmy-nominated CJ Faison (Giants & June Bugs), Jackie Aina and Kahlana Barfield Brownthe documentaries will shed light on the social change that has taken place in the beauty industry from the perspective of the successful black women who started it.
The Black Beauty Effect is a three-part documentary series that captures the current development, revolution and disruption in the beauty industry. Black beauty influencers, celebrities and entrepreneurs have inherited the torch passed down by their pioneering predecessors. Each hour-long episode examines a different aspect of beauty – hair, skin and makeup – through the lenses of some of the beauty industry’s most iconic game changers. The Black Beauty Effect pushes back the gorgeous glow we see in advertising to tell the ugly truths that have plagued the beauty industry for far too long.
Watch a sneak peek at The Black Beauty Effect
|I am so excited about the release of this documentary and honored to be a part of it. I think it’s great that we can examine black beauty in all its facets! Especially since many of us have been told for so long that we don’t meet the standard of beauty when in reality we are the most exotic women on the planet,” she explained Good. “I look forward to women being inspired, deeply influenced in their inner and outer beauty, and most importantly, being loved and reminded that they are a force of God and nature.”
Featuring candid conversations with brand executives, celebrity makeup artists, beauty editors and more, the docuseries focuses on the impact influencers have had on the industry’s changing perception of beauty. Participants include (but are not limited to):
- actress and filmmaker; Series Creator and Executive Producer Andrea Lewis
- Beauty and lifestyle content creator and activist; executive producer Jackie Aina
- Editor & Expert, Former Beauty Director, InStyle; executive producer
Kahlana Barfield Brown
- Former Beauty & Cover Director, Magazine Essence 1980 – 2010 Michi Taylor
- co-founder of Melanin Haircare; Influencer and natural hair enthusiast
- Executive Vice President and COO of North America Beauty and Personal Care at Unilever Esi Eggleston Bracey
- NY Times Bestselling Author, Journalist and Former Editor-in-Chief, Teen Vogue Elaine Welteroth
- CEO of Sundial Brands and President of Beauty and Wellbeing, Unilever
- Beauty Editor-at-Large, Cosmopolitan and CEO, Beauty United
- Senior Beauty Editor, InStyle Kayla Greaves
- Beauty Director-at-Large, The cut Maya Allen
- actress Meagan Good
- Actress, singer, producer Amber Riley
- editor-in-chief, Curls Jessica Cruel
- digital editor, Curls Jihan Forbes
- Creator and Host, Naked Beauty Podcast, Brooke DeVard Ozaydinli
- Prominent make-up artist and author Good
- VP, Marketing, Thrive Causemetics Tiffany Carter
- Celebrity Hairstylist, Beauty Expert and Entrepreneur Kim Kimble
- celebrity hairdresser Ursula Stephan
- celebrity hairdresser Chuck Amos
- Beauty and fashion influencers Shalom Black
- Beauty influencer and activist Nyma Tang
- beauty influencer Ellarie
- Model, influencer and entrepreneur Choyce Brown
- Drag queen and comedian Bob the drag queen
- Founder and CEO, The Lip Bar and Thread Beauty Melissa Butler
- Founder and CEO, Topicals Olamid Olowe
- Professional makeup artist Marsha Page
- VP, Marketing, Ulta Beauty Karl Davis
- CEO and Founder, Ami Cole Diarrha N’Diaye
- CEO and co-founder of Mented Cosmetics KJ Miller
- Prominent make-up artist and creative director of L’Oreal Mr John
- Global Head of Multicultural Beauty, L’Oréal Balanda Atis
- Co-owner and CEO, Fashion Fair Cosmetics, Black OpalBeauty Desiree Rogers
- Founder, Carol’s daughter Lisa Price
- Dermatologist and Owner, Aglow Dermatology dr Dina Strachan
- Professor in the Department of American Studies at California State University, Fullerton Kristin Rowe, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of Sociology, University of California, Irvine Sabrina strings PhD
- Board-certified, award-winning dermatologist and AAD Fellow dr Jeanine Downie
|“As a black actor you show up on set and the makeup and hair stylists that are there aren’t really there for us,” he shared Amber Riley. “After doing my makeup for my cover shoot with Marie Claire, I had this ‘ah ha’ moment when I saw what makeup could do for me. It has made me return to the set with a renewed confidence and opportunities to enhance my beauty.The Black Beauty Effect is a ripple effect what we [Black women] do what we have and where we stand. Content like this really touches others, and we see that everywhere.”
“When I first started working on this project, it was very important to me to include the full depth of the beauty industry, from the Black Beauty editors, makeup artists and hair stylists to the social media influencers and of course the Black actors . Having Meagan Good and Amber Riley, two of my colleagues and actors who I respect and adore, share their own stories and share their admiration for the black beauty’s game changers is the perfect complement to this very important story,” said the Executive Producer Andrea Lewis. “The Black Beauty EffectIt’s a dream come true for me and I could not have asked for a better team than to work with CJ Faison of Face Forward Productions and Keesha Boyd, Executive Director, Multicultural Entertainment at Xfinity to bring this story to life. ”
The Black Beauty Effect is directed by Kwanza Nicole Gooden and produced by FaceForward Productions. The series was created by Andrea Lewis, who is executive producing along with CJ Faison, Jackie Aina and Kahlana Barfield Brown. Emmy-nominated Takara Joseph, Summer Griffiths and Adrienne Reed are serving as producers, with showrunner Andrena Hale.
“We are delighted to announce the addition of Meagan Good to this remarkable cast of exceptional professionals. Premieres of The Black Beauty Effect on the Black Experience on the Xfinity channel aligns with our company-wide mission to invest in authentic Black stories and uplift emerging creative voices,” said Keesha BoydExecutive Director, Multicultural Entertainment at Xfinity and Executive Producer ofThe Black Beauty Effect. “Through this production, we want to highlight the incredible Black women who have cultivated meaningful change across the industry and the meaningful advances that have resulted.”
Black Experience on Xfinity is a unique destination for Black Entertainment, Movies, TV Shows, News and more. Available at home on Xfinity X1 and Flex, and on-the-go with the Xfinity Stream app, the Black Experience on Xfinity features original and high-quality content from Comcast NBCUniversal and other major studios network partners, in addition to content from much existing Xfinity content, at no additional cost to Xfinity -Customers. The channel is the only one of its kind to be endorsed by the African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA), the world’s largest black film critics group, which presents annual awards for excellence in film and television.
Xfinity customers can access the Black Experience on Channel 1622 or simply say “Black Experience” into the voice remote to instantly enjoy the ultimate in Black storytelling. Non-Xfinity customers can view them The Black Beauty Effect on Comcast’s free ad-supported streaming service app Xumo.
More information about The Black Beauty Effectgo to @BlackBeautyEffect on social media and continue the conversation with the hashtag #BlackBeautyEffect.
|About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company that connects people to the moments that matter. Our primary focus is connectivity, aggregation and streaming with 57 million customer relationships across the United States and Europe. We deliver broadband, wireless and video through our Xfinity, Comcast Business and Sky brands; Create, distribute and stream leading entertainment, sports and news across Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, Universal Studio Group, Sky Studios, NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, multiple cable networks, Peacock, NBCUniversal News Group, NBC Sports, Sky News and Sky Sports; and provide unforgettable experiences at Universal parks and resorts across the United States and Asia. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
About Andrea Lewis
About FaceForward Productions
Related Links: https://www.blackfilm.com/read/2021/12/meagan-good-and-jerrie-johnson-talk-harlem/